A unique safe haven from domestic violence in Suffolk County
Founded in 1983, our Safe Harbor Shelter was the first of its kind in Suffolk County. It provides a safe haven exclusively for victims and their children who are fleeing their homes to escape domestic violence and have limited or no other safe option.
Safety is the shelter's first priority. As soon as an individual or family enters, our staff work to secure their emotional and physical safety and provide comprehensive support services with the goal of permanent housing and healing.
Services provided at Safe Harbor Shelter include:
- Individual and group counseling for adults and children
- Legal advocacy if the resident wishes to petition the courts for an Order of Protection or child custody
- Help with requesting financial assistance from the Department of Social Services
- Housing advocacy
- Parenting skills workshops
- Vocational training, including computer classes, and job placement
- Monthly group physician meeting to address any medical concerns
- Linkage to many other resources
Safe Harbor provided shelter to 170 adults and children in 2014.